Math in Our World: People & Their Pets
Brianna has a lot of pets at her house. With all of the pets and people combined, there are a total of 44 feet in her house.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Think about the different types of animals that could be in Brianna's house. Show the numbers of feet using pictures, models, or numbers.
- What mathematical questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
- Make a list of types of pets she might have and the number of feet each has.
- How many people might live in Breonna’s house? How many feet would that leave for pets?
- Try sketching or using objects to keep track of the number of feet.
Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Create problems about the pets you have or wish you had. Share them with a friend!