Math in Our World: Road Trip!
Michael and his cousins are planning a road trip. They live near the Bridge of Flowers. They made a map to show several places they want to visit. Their parents don’t want to drive more than about 500 miles in one day. It takes about 9 hours to drive 500 miles.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show what you know about the situation.
- What mathematical questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all that you can!
Which places are 500 miles or less from the Bridge of Flowers? How can you use estimation to help you?
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Plan your own road trip. Where would you like to visit? Use the internet or a mapping app to find the distances between places you’d like to go.