Math in Our World: The Scoop Bot
Brenna and her family have a machine called a Scoop Bot. It feeds their two cats automatically. The cats share the food, but Lucky definitely eats more than Inky!
Before they left for a weeklong vacation, Brenna measured how much food the Scoop Bot was giving the cats.
She gave her mom this note:
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show what is happening.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- What math questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
Pick one measurement (either 79 grams or 2.75 ounces) and determine how much food they get fed in one day. Use that amount to answer more questions.
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask if they have any other questions you can answer!
Figure out how much food your pet, or an animal you like, needs to be fed in a day, a week, a month, or a year. Research and find out how much it costs to buy food for your pet for a week, a month, or a year.