Math in Our World: House Building
Kyra’s community is working together to build a two-story house.
They will cover these boards with plywood to create the first floor. Each sheet of plywood is 4 feet x 8 feet.
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show what is happening.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- What mathematical questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
- Draw a sketch. Label the known dimensions.
- What measurements aren’t shown? What can you do to find those measurements?
- Show your work to someone and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Use a tape measure or ruler to measure two rooms in your home. Sketch the dimensions. Which is larger? How do you know?