Math in Our World: Taekwondo Belts
Do you know what Taekwondo is? It’s a sport that teaches respect and focus.
Hayden has been learning Taekwondo for a year. Every few months he takes a test to earn a new color belt. Taekwondo students earn belts as they work hard and learn more skills.
This is a picture of the belts Hayden has earned so far. One day, with a lot of hard work, he hopes to earn the highest level belt, the black belt. Then this belt rack will be full!
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, numbers, or math words to show or tell what you see.
- What math questions can you ask about the picture? Answer all the questions you can!
- Use a ten-frame or the MLC Number Frames app to show how many belts Hayden has earned and how many he has left to earn.
- Look at the picture. How many belts are on Hayden’s rack so far? How many more spots are there for belts?
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Make up your own math problem that uses a combination of 10. Draw a picture and share it with us!
Google doc for printing and copying
Activity for the Seesaw platform
Reference for Educators
Sample problems and solutions