Math in Our World: Ruined Receipt
Ling and her family bought some fruit at the store, but the receipt came out all wonky.
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show what is happening.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- What mathematical questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
Use estimation to begin finding any missing information.
- If 3 cantaloupes cost $8.04, what do you know about the price of each?
- Between which two whole dollar amounts will the price per cantaloupe be?
- Show your work to someone and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Ask your parents if you can make a fruit salad. Look for a flyer from your grocery store and make a plan. What would you put in your fruit salad? How much would it all cost?