Math in Our World: Exercise by The Numbers
Olivia plans to start her day with these six exercises. At first she’ll do the set of exercises once. She’ll do 12 jumping jacks, 8 lunges, and so on, until she’s completed all six exercises. She thinks this will take about 20 minutes. She wants to work up to going through the full set of exercises three times.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to describe this situation.
- What mathematical questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
How many exercises will Olivia do in one set? A set is doing all of these exercises the number of times shown. Use a number line to show how you know.
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Create your own exercise plan. Make a list of the exercises you will do. How many will you do of each one? How many times will you repeat the set of exercises? Share your notes with a friend or family member and ask them to exercise with you.