Math in Our World: Sink or Float?
Today, we gathered items from around our home. We made predictions about whether each item would sink or float.
We filled the bathtub with a little water and then dropped each item in.
After we dried them off, we sorted them into groups.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, numbers, or math words to show or tell about these pictures.
- What math questions can you ask about the pictures? Answer all the questions you can!
- Make a table to sort and count the number of items that sank and floated.
- Use tally marks to count how many of each category you see.
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
You can do this experiment at home too! Gather small toys, items from outside, or things from the kitchen. Ask a grown-up to help you fill up a sink, the bathtub or a container with water. Count how many of your items sank and floated. Were you surprised by any of the items?