Math in Our World: Books, Books & More Books!
DJ and Mariyah love to check out library books! They checked out 50 books in June, more than 50 books in July, and fewer than 50 books in August. They checked out 125 books in all.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Show how the quantities are related using pictures, models, or numbers.
- What math questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
Try using the Number Pieces app to show the quantities of books. Remember, there are a total of 125 books and 50 books were checked out in June:
- How many more could be checked out in July, if the total is greater than 50?
- How many fewer could be checked out in August, if the total is fewer than 50?
- Do the three quantities total 125?
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Make a goal for how many books you’d like to read for the summer. Then keep track each month. How many books did you read each month? How many books did you read over the summer?