Math in Our World: Summer Schedule
Erika has a lot of activities planned for Saturday. She decided to track them on a timeline. She wants to make sure she has time to do everything.
Erika’s soccer practice is 1½ hours long. She wants to get lunch before going to the pool party. The pool party is 3 hours long. It takes 45 minutes to drive to the campout.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to describe this situation.
- What mathematical questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
- When do soccer practice and the pool party end? Add these times to the timeline.
- How much time does Erika have for lunch?
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
If you could do anything, how would you like to spend a Saturday? Create a timeline that shows the times you would do each activity. Describe how much time you have between activities for meals or travel.