Math in Our World: Shadow Puppet Stories
Ibrahim and Zoe created a homemade shadow puppet stage. They made some animal puppets and used the puppets to tell stories. Sometimes, they told number stories.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show what is happening.
- What math questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
Try counting, adding, or comparing the numbers of legs or heads.
- How many legs do you count? How many heads do you count?
- Which animal has the most legs? The fewest legs?
- What story problem could you create using the shadow puppets?
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!