Math in Our World: Two Tall Candles
I have a green candle and a pink candle.The more often I use the candles, the shorter they get.
I use cubes to keep track of their heights.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use models, numbers, or words to show how the heights of the candles are related.
- What math questions can you ask about the candles? Answer all the questions you can.
- Sketch and label cube trains that show the height of each candle.
- Is one candle taller than the other? How do you know?
- Show your work to someone else. Use numbers and math words to explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Use paper clips, cubes, or other small objects to measure the lengths of two different objects in your home. Which is longer? Which is shorter? How do you know?