Math in Our World: Making Signs
Jessica is making signs for a yard sale. The craft store had a sale on different types of markers. She bought 48 markers, some permanent, some washable and some gel.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, numbers, or words to show what is happening.
- What math questions can you ask about the picture? Answer all the questions you can!
- How many markers come in each package?
- How many markers would she have if she bought just 1 package of each kind of marker?
- What do you notice about the prices?
- Use a number line or table to keep track of how many packages of each type of marker were purchased.
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Look for how different items are packaged. Look around your house, or in newspapers or magazines. What do you notice about the way things are packaged? How do the prices compare? There are lots of choices to make when you shop!