Math in Our World: Snack Time
We like eating carrots and celery with hummus for a snack. Some members of my family like carrots more than celery. Some like celery more than carrots.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, numbers, or words to show or tell what is happening.
- What mathematical questions can you ask about the picture? Answer all the questions you can!
- Use a ten-frame or the Number Rack app to show the different combinations of carrots and celery on each plate.
- Write an equation or expression to show the combinations of carrots and celery.
- Count all the carrots and all the celery. Which group has more?
Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
- Are there other combinations of 7 pieces of carrots and celery we could have had? What are all the combinations of 7?
- Can you make a snack with a combination of 7? What are two items you most like to eat?