Math in Our World: Pedaling Power
Aaron and his dad have been biking almost every day this week. Sometimes they bike to the water and sometimes they bike to the woods.
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show what is happening.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- What mathematical questions can you ask about this situation? Answer any questions you can!
- If their trip today was to one of the locations and straight back home, how far might they have biked?
- Draw an open number line or use the MLC Number Line app to add the decimal amounts.
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask if they have any other questions you can answer!
With your family, use a local map to figure out some bike trips or long walks you could safely take. Determine the distance for each trip. (Be safe! Don’t go alone or without permission.)