Math in Our World: Bike Challenge
Belle and her friends are taking part in a bike challenge. They each set a goal for the number of miles they want to ride. They recorded the miles they have biked so far.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show what is happening.
- What mathematical questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all that you can!
- Draw a picture to show how far Belle has ridden her bike. How many more miles does she have to go to meet her goal?
- Sketch a number line or use the Number Line app to find out who is closest to meeting their goal.
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Create your own challenge. You could walk the distance of a marathon. Or, you could jump rope several minutes a week. Choose something you enjoy doing. Set a goal and keep track of your progress. If your goal seems out of reach, change it and try again.