Math in Our World: Skateboarding
Jimmy loves to skateboard on the sidewalk. His dad pushes the board. The first time he rolled 100 inches! The second time he rolled 75 inches, and the third time he rolled 115 inches!
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show what is happening.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- What math questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
Try using a number line to show what is happening. Consider these questions:
- Which roll was the longest distance? The shortest distance?
- How many fewer inches did he roll the second time than the first time?
- How many more inches did he roll the third time than the first or second time?
- Show your work to someone else and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Make your own measuring length problems and share them with us!