Math in Our World: Street Art
Mateo and his brothers worked together on a street art project using sidewalk chalk. There were several different shapes in the display. They used tape to outline the display and to create the lines inside, and used sidewalk chalk to color it. It was 46 inches long and 28 inches wide.
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show what is happening.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- What mathematical questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
- Think about how much tape they used to tape off the outside of the display.
- How could you find the amount of space that the display covers?
- What kinds of observations could you make about the shapes in the display?
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
- Use supplies you have at home to draw a sketch using shapes.
- Ask someone to tell you what mathematical observations they can make.