Math in Our World: Finding Loose Change
Sometimes money falls out of our pockets or gets lost around our house. Today, we decided to go on a hunt to find any loose change or bills. Jimmy found this big pile of coins under the couch cushions. Sam found a small pile in our laundry room. Sean found a dollar bill.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show the money amounts.
- What math questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
Try using the MLC Money Pieces app to show what is happening.
Look at each group of bills or coins:
- How much money did Jimmy find?
- How much money did Sam find?
- How much money did Sean find?
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask if they have any other questions you can answer!
Make your own money problem and share it with us!