Math in Our World: The Grapes of Math
It’s snack time for Nina and Dan. Today they’re getting grapes!
Nina’s grapes are on the brown plate. Dan’s grapes are on the orange plate.
- Use pictures, numbers, or math words to describe Nina’s grapes and Dan’s grapes.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- What math questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
Think about how many grapes are on each plate:
- You could compare the number of grapes on the plates.
- You could also find how many grapes there are in all.
- Use what you know about fractions. Remember, 2 halves of a grape is the same as 1 whole grape.
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Ask an adult to help you cut small pieces of food into halves or fourths. You can use any small food, like berries or pieces of cheese. Make your own food fraction problem and share it with us!