Math in Our World: The Shoe Rack
Today I bought this new shoe rack to help me organize my shoes.
Maybe you can help!
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Show what you know about the shoes. Use pictures, objects, or numbers.
- What math questions can you ask about the shoe rack? Answer all the questions you can!
- Think about how many shoes there are. Try counting them by 2s.
- Think about placing the shoes on the shoe rack. How many shoes would you put on the bottom shelf? The middle shelf? The top shelf? It’s okay to have a different number of shoes on each shelf.
- It looks like each shelf has only enough space for 6 shoes or fewer. Does that change how you might place the shoes on the shoe rack?
- Try writing an addition equation that matches how you placed the shoes.
- Show your work to someone else. Explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Organize some shoes, toys, or other small objects in your home. How would you organize them on 2 rows? 3 rows? 4 rows? Make up your own story problem with the results and share it with us!