Math in Our World: Breakfast Plans
Sofia is making breakfast for her family. She wants to make lots of pancakes!
Sofia read the directions on the box. She scooped out 5¼ cups of mix, added the water, and made the pancakes. They were delicious!
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show what is happening
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- What mathematical questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
- With the amount of mix that she used, how many pancakes could she make?
- How much does the pancake mix increase in each column?
- How much does the water increase in each column?
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Try to find a recipe on a box, in a cookbook, in a magazine, or online. Think of questions that you could ask and answer about this recipe. How do the measurements change if you make 2 or 3 times the recipe?