Math in Our World: Lemonade Stand
Some children are selling lemonade at a lemonade stand. The lemonade costs 25 cents for a small cup and 50 cents for a large cup. In the morning, they sold 3 small cups and 2 large cups. In the afternoon, they sold 6 small cups and 3 large cups.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show what you know about how much lemonade was sold.
- What math questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
Here is a quick reminder of coin values:
Try using the MLC Money Pieces app or drawing coins and bills to show what is happening.
- How much money the children made selling large cups
- How much money the children made selling small cups
- The total amount of money the children made
Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Make your own lemonade stand problem and share it with us!
Google doc for printing and copying
Reference for Educators
Sample problems and solutions