Math in Our World: Pom-Poms
Wendy cleaned up her art supplies today.
She had pom-poms everywhere!
She put some of the pom-poms into a jar.
Some of them did not fit inside the jar.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Show what you know about the pom-poms. Use pictures, numbers, or math words.
- What math questions can you ask about the pom-poms? Answer all the questions you can!
- You could try adding the pom-poms inside the jar and the pom-poms outside the jar to find how many Wendy has in all.
- Think about how you can use tens and ones to help you find the total.
- You might start with the total inside the jar, then count on by tens and ones to find the total.
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask if they have any other questions you can answer!
Find a collection of small objects such as marbles or pebbles. How can you organize them?
Make up your own story problem with the results and share it with us!