Math in Our World: Julio’s After-School Schedule
Julio has been spending a lot of time inside. Now that it’s spring, he’d like to spend more time outside playing with his friends.
Julio’s school is having a reading contest. Julio wants to increase the number of minutes he spends reading each day.
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show what is happening.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- What math questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
- How much time does Julio spend on each activity? You can use the MLC Math Clock app or the Number Line app to help you.
- How could Julio increase his time outdoors or his time reading?
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
How do you spend your free time? Keep track of what you do one day. What would you want to spend more time doing? Make a plan for how you’d like to spend your time another day.
Google doc for printing and copying
Reference for Educators
Sample problems and solutions