Math in Our World: How Many Rocks?
Hayden and Charlotte love to collect rocks at the beach. They collected 61 rocks in their bucket, counting as they put each rock in. Then, they collected some more rocks.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, numbers, or math words to show or tell what you know about the rocks.
- What math questions can you ask about the picture? Answer all the questions you can!
- Did you notice anything written in the sand in front of the bucket? Why do you think it’s written there?
- Draw a ten-frame to organize and count the number of rocks outside the bucket.
- Use a hundreds chart to count forward from 61.
- Draw a number line starting at 61 and count on.
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Can you collect other items to count? How could you organize your collection to make it easier to count?