Math in Our World: The Beach Store
Sandra has some coins to spend at the beach store.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, numbers, or math words to show or tell what you know about Sandra’s money.
- What math questions can you ask about Sandra and the beach store? Answer all the questions you can!
- Think about how much money Sandra has.
- What do you think she would want to buy? Can she buy more than one thing?
- Will she get back any change? How do you know?
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Place price tags on some objects at home or school to make your own little store. Here are some things you might try with your store:
- Ask a friend or family member to pretend to shop. Use play money, and give out change.
- Make up your own story problem about your little store and share it with us!