Math in Our World: Sand Jumps
Sarah, Raveyn, and Sam are cousins. They are playing a jumping game at the beach.
Sam jumped 3 feet. Sarah jumped 42 inches. Raveyn jumped the farthest distance.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show how the distances are related.
- What math questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
Try using an open number line to show what is happening.
- How far did each child jump in inches?
- How much farther did Sarah jump than Sam?
- How far might Raveyn have jumped?
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Make your own jumping game with family members or friends. Then write your own story problem with the results and share it with us!