Math in Our World: Backyard Design
Liz designed the ultimate summer backyard in her art class. She has a sketch and some notes below, but she is not done working yet.
- Use pictures, models, or numbers to show what is happening.
- What do you notice? What do you wonder?
- What mathematical questions can you ask about this situation? Answer all the questions you can!
- What kind of measurements do you see in the drawing and on the notes?
- What is the area of the backyard?
- How could you use the dimensions given to find other dimensions or areas that are not labeled?
- Show your work to someone else, and explain your thinking. Did they understand?
- Ask whether they have any other questions you can answer!
Try making your own design. It could be a backyard, an amusement park, a playground, or somewhere else you might enjoy spending time over the summer.